Saturday, April 9, 2005

Politics/Religion: Sick and Tired of Being a "Bad" Catholic

Wolf Blitzer, with whom I have never had any particular beef, called out Paul Begala of CNN:

"I'm sure Bob [Novak] is a good Catholic, I'm not so sure about Paul Begala"
as reported on Media Matters for America. This hit a particular sour note with me, since I happen to be liberal and Catholic. I am tired of the right-wing rhetoric that states that one cannot support liberal views and be Catholic. Last time I read the bible, I do remember finding much more on helping the poor, not hoarding your wealth, not judging others, and respecting the life of everybody (not just the unborn).

I'm throwing in one more quote from the Washington Post, this one about Reagan-appointed Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy.
Phyllis Schlafly, doyenne of American conservatism, said Kennedy's opinion forbidding capital punishment for juveniles "is a good ground of impeachment." To cheers and applause from those gathered at a downtown Marriott for a conference on "Confronting the Judicial War on Faith," Schlafly said that Kennedy had not met the "good behavior" requirement for office and that "Congress ought to talk about impeachment."
I did not realize that prohibiting the execution of minors was one of the parts of the judicial "war on faith". I'm glad that George W. Bush, who oversaw the killing of 152 people as Governor of Texas, and the right-wing war that he is leading on America have such a clear vision on what lives God wants them to hold high (fetuses, Terri Schiavo), and which lives are expendable (prisoners, Iraqis, worldwide HIV/AIDS victim). If our country is going to be overtaken by Christian conservatives, I just wish they could respect all human life as instructed by the bible, instead of picking and choosing whose lives are worth their time and energy. I know it's not as sexy to some segments of the American people to be anti-death penalty and anti-war, but I do believe these two attributes are pretty in line with the bible, and are thankfully two of the legacies of our former Pope.

2 comments:

Matz said...

That's where you went wrong, a Catholic who reads the bible. A wise comedianne once said that Catholics have priests who do nothing all week except give a book report once a week on Sunday, just so their congregations don't have to read the book.

Garrett said...

I believe the context of the Kennedy comments on capital punishment are that he mentioned something to do with international standards blah blah blah in his opinion on the case. Since he was looking to the sanity of the rest of the world rather than a single tunnelvisioned view of the Bible, he pissed off the wingnuts.