Thursday, April 7, 2005

Law: Florida to allow use of force even outside home

Under [the old] law, however, people attacked anywhere [outside of their home or car] are supposed to do what they can to avoid escalating the situation and can use deadly force only after they've tried to retreat.

Since when did de-escalation become a 4 letter word? Police officers are taught to de-escalate; and as a physician I think it makes sense? But apparently in Florida this law allows people who "feel threatened" to shoot first and ask questions later. Oh wait, there's a Bush down there, now I understand. Criminals (and tourists) be warned. My favorite quote though is this:
"I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."
Floridians will now be proud to know they have the right be shot in the front.

No comments: