Monday, March 7, 2005

Politics: liberal mock outrage

Okay, I think Trent Lott got what he deserved, and I admit I don't know all that much about Lindsey Graham. Maybe he has some racist history I don't know about. But as a Red State refugee, I can totally find the humor in Graham's joke to a Tennessee Lincoln Dinner crowd:

“We don’t do Lincoln Day Dinners in South Carolina,” Senator Graham told a Lincoln Day gathering in Tennessee Saturday. “It’s nothing personal, but it takes awhile to get over things.”
And people are PISSED!

Now, I'm not saying I tolerate the racist crap that comes out of some of these Southern senators' mouths from time to time. But come on, kids. THIS isn't exactly a smoking gun. It's actually kinda funny! Southerners don't like Northerners, and it has nothing to do with taking away their easy-to-identify farm labor, but everything to do with the way Northerners sit in Starbucks at Barnes and Noble making fun of Southerners all the time. It happens! And they know it!

So are Southerners a bunch of xenophobes? Sure. But so are Northerners. Northerners just don't understand that the rest of the planet (besides the US South) isn't exactly just like them. Ignorance is bliss in that regard.

No comments: