Thursday, November 11, 2004

Nut Jobs: Falwell planning "Evangelical Revolution"

I've met Jerry Falwell. In fact, I spent two summers at his Youth camps at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. And I've had some fun conversations with some graduates of that University.

That said, I feel qualified to call the dude a Nut Job.

And now, after Bush won by his oh-so-awesome 51-48 margin, Falwell believes the country is ready for the Evangelical Revolution, specifically a "21st century resurrection of the Moral Majority."

To Falwell, I say "Bring It On!"

Not to put to fine a point on it, Falwell is a devisive figure. Not the entire evangelical wing of the Republican party falls under the 'Nut Job Evangelical' category. There are plenty of intelligent people who voted against gay marriage and think that abortion is murder. On the other hand, Falwell likes to compare homosexuality to bestiality and crack addiction (even though he'll deny it).

I'm not going to guess how many Bush voters were evangelicals, and I'm not going to guess how many evangelicals are Falwell-style bigots. But something tells me it's enough to cause more than a minor rift in the Republican party, but not enough to support, say, a viable Roy Moore presidential bid.

So, Jerry, bring on your revolution. It may be televised, but America is really good at keeping jerks like you at bay.

No comments: