Thursday, August 19, 2004

Politics: war vitriol from me

My mother just called and told me that her PCP was just called back to active duty (he went to medical school after leaving the military). So let me get this straight--this guy is worth more to the military than he is to his patients? Is he not "serving his country" by practicing a primary care medical field?

And while federal law protects people who are called up from losing their jobs when they come back to civilian life, physicians build up a practice, and if they leave, so does their practice. If his patients get settled with a new PCP, they'll likely stay where they are, because people get sick of changing doctors all the time. So what does he have to come back to? Federal law isn't going to make his patients come back to him.

Maybe I'm just sick of the consequences of fighting a war I never wanted to begin with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is exactly why i would never ever ever join the military under any context. because once you do, you become property of the govt and you forfeit your rights. i'm thankful for the people who do make this sacrifice, but i'm too paranoid about whatever legal loophole bullshit the govt might pull on me.

mikey