Sunday, December 10, 2006

My Old Ky Home: Eastern Kentucky students hold onto Confederate school symbols

I'm sure I could try to say a lot about how I understand where these podunkers are coming from, but how I really wish they'd get a clue that it's not nice to do something when everybody else thinks it's bad (even if you swear that's not why you're doing it!). But I'll let one of Kentucky's finest tell you in her own words why it's okay to have confederate flags all over her high school:

"To us it's not about the hatred," said Tiffany Owens, an 18-year-old cheerleader at Allen Central High School in eastern Kentucky. "I have colored friends around here and they never say anything."
Sure, it ain't about the hatred. But it sure is about being embarrassingly ignorant of history and culture at large.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Ah, yes. There are also many places those "colored friends" know never to go at night around those parts, too...