Thursday, May 6, 2004

The FDA, as sheep of the religious right, decided to block the OTC sale of emergency contraception, saying that 15 year olds will have sex more if they can go the next day and buy expensive pills to make the babies go away. How many millions of dollars are we going to have to spend proving that abstinence training is absolutely useless? I wasn't getting laid when I was 15, but if I was, I bet OTC emergency contraception wouldn't have made me any less scared-as-hell of AIDS or gonorrhea or herpes or all that other fun stuff. If we spent the money we spent showing the religious right over and over again that abstinence training is a joke, and spent more money on STD education, we might actually see a decline in people's lives being screwed up by bacteria and unwanted kids.

No comments: