Monday, November 1, 2004

Politics: Kerry Haters for Kerry (and my excuse for an endorsement)

Hate to rag on my candidate the night before the election, but this was just too funny to pass up.

And this is as close as I'll do for a blog endorsement:

For the record, if I were voting in KY, I'm pretty sure I'd be voting for David Cobb. That's not to say I agree with Greens on economic issues or national security issues--I don't. A couple of college kids could read Marx and come up with a more practical economic platform than the Greens. But the despicable shift towards the center by the Democratic Party in not fighting for the rights of a weak minority, the homosexual community, for obvious political reasons leaves me entirely unable to support my party of registration with the fervency that I would like.

Also, in John Kerry, I have not seen the sort of candidate who will stay above a fray of lies and manipulation in his campaign. I've seen a politician. A politician whose policies have many of the same problems as the current president. A politician who, if elected, will be obstructed by a conservative congress hell-bent on preventing any sort of progress. But, a politician who has some wiggle room to move to the center on economic issues, hopefully drawing our Congress there as well. The future of Social Security and health care may depend on that dynamic.

Both candidates threaten to increase our deficit to dangerously absurd heights.

Both candidates have ridiculous, impractical ideas of how to institute health-care reform. Of course, Kerry will merely make the system more ungainly, whereas Bush will destroy it.

Neither candidate has a clue how to get us out of Iraq before the next presidential election with a strong democractic government.

Neither candidate has given even significant lip service to the problems in Israel and Palestine.

Neither candidate has any sort of plan to ensure that Social Security benefits will be sustainable.

And neither candidate supports measures to ensure that a small portion of our society will not continue to be marginalized for many years to come.

But a few things are nearly certain about John Kerry. John Kerry probably couldn't do a worse job than Bush. He won't have the military to launch another needless war. He won't have the arrogant swagger to piss off the rest of the world everytime he opens his mouth. And he won't appoint judges who have wet dreams about Scalia and over-turning Roe.

So, as a Michigan voter, I am voting for Kerry.

If I were still registered in Kentucky, I would enjoy voting against the gay marriage amendment (me and like 20 other people), I would enjoy voting for Dan Mongiardo against Jim Bunning's incompetence and out-right weirdness, and I would be casting my presidential ballot for the Green Party candidate, David Cobb.

I'm actually not even sure that the Green candidate is on the ballot in Kentucky, which would of course leave me with no other option to express my distaste than to repeat my 2000 vote for Ralph Nader.

Some respectable conservatives who disapprove of Bush are choosing another vote of conscience, Michael Badnarik. If you consider yourself a traditionalist conservative who actually supports small government, he may be your man. Badnarik, like Cobb, has some well-meaning but crack-pot ideas. But so do Kerry and Bush.

If your state is out of play, which is essentially true for every state that is not Hawaii, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, or New Hampshire, then consider a third party candidate. The Democratic party now ignores its socially liberal base. The Republican party now ignores its small government base. Let them know you don't like being ignored one bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post. i agree completely. i did however, still vote for bush, for inexplicable reasons. sentimental favorite maybe.

mikey

Anonymous said...

I love the 'He'll do' banner on Kerry Haters for Kerry! But despite his problems, and I'll admit he has quite a few, I do genuinely like Kerry. I may be in a minority in thinking so, but I still think he's capable of doing a good job if given the chance.

*Beth*