Friday, November 5, 2004

Politics: "back to being the party of responsibility"

Every liberal on the planet has a "what went wrong/what next" column out right now, but I particularly like William Saletan's take at Slate.

Go back to being the party of responsibility.

I'm not talking about scolding people. I'm talking about rewarding them. Be the party that rewards ordinary people who do what they're supposed to do—and protects them from those who don't.

There's a definite Nader-esque ring to that. The rest of the article seems fairly logical and not so apologetic. Values Values Values. Values are wearing me out. Aren't we fighting a war? I thought the terrorists were supposed to be scarier than abortions?

That's what I get for thinking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah i went insane and started reading a bunch of slate articles in addition to the ny times ones. that one was really good but i didn't post it in my blog because i didn't want to piss anyone off in their already depressed state.

mikey

Garrett said...

yeah, you're a true compassionate conservative :)