Friday, May 20, 2005

Politics: Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot,

than to speak and remove all doubt:

"I've made it very clear to the Congress that the use of federal money, taxpayers' money, to promote science which destroys life in order to save life -- I'm against that. And therefore if the bill does that, I will veto it."
Grrr.

Yes, since a few clumps of cells in a flask full of pink media is more valuable than someone's grandmother deteoriating slowly and painfully in front of their eyes. Culture of life, my ass. Culture of absolutist bullshit, more like it. Culture of disregard for logic. Culture of realpolitik. Culture of ignoring your God-given sensibilities in exchange for some sort of legalistic interpretation of a text 20-25 centuries removed from the current predicaments without the ability to understand that God is more than just a character in a storybook. Much more than that.

In my first week and a half of life on the wards, I've seen people dying right in front of me left and right. I held a dude's head steady the other night while someone else placed a central line, and that dude is never going to wake up again. The first surgery I scrubbed in on, blood gushed in my face, he didn't make it through the night. A woman with a bomb in her abdomen, just waiting for the fuse to blow as her teary-eyed granddaughter holds her hand, wanting it to be over right now and never all at once.

Those are lives. Not the jizzy muck on the bottom of a lab flask.

So thank you, George Bush, for protecting pink lab goo instead of someone's grandmother.

This last line was filled with a few too many f-bombs before I deleted them, but I'm getting really sore about this shit.

No comments: