Saturday, February 26, 2005

Politics: separation of church and state (in a different sort of way)

Kyle has one heck of a thread going over on his blog. He's quite pissed (rightfully I think) about the way that Baptists in particular equate patriotism with following the teachings of Jesus. A favorite quote:

But whenever the Church considers allegiance to Jesus and the State to be somehow equivalent, she loses her critical eye for the policies of the State that are destructive of human dignity, and in its unchecked, unchallenged rule, the State will turn on the people of God. It happened in Germany, and it may well happen here.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Hey Garrett,

Thanks for the mention. I'll return the favor shortly. I do welcome any participation in my little mess, especially since I'm comparing those baptists to nazis at this point...

Cheers,
"Captain Sacrament"