Thursday, September 2, 2004

Blogging: red card, blue card, green card, race card

Bo decided to skewer me for my post below suggesting that the GOP shouldn't be the party of choice for minorities. Feel free to join in the fray, pro-or-con, home field or away. Bo is extremely anti-affirmative action (or at least, that's my take--I think it's fair), and I have blogged before that I would be much in favor of a system that considered socioeconomic system over race. If I remember correctly, there were more than a few allegations of minority vote suppression in Florida last time around. And how many Donkey congressmen have had to resign over saying that the country would have been better off if Strom Thurmond were elected president? I mean, is it really THAT hard to talk smack about the party of Trent Lott and Jesse Helms and Newt Gingrich? And it's not like these guys are distant memories.

Bo caught me being sloppy, and got pretty legalistic in his argument with me, assuring me that minority rights are something that are narrowly defined in the constitution. I say it's a little bit bigger picture than that--and doesn't include 'minority freebies', as he suggests. And I just don't accept that because the delegates at the RNC are by-and-large not racist in the traditional sense of stringing-the-negro-from-the-old-oak-tree, that suddenly makes them a party of minority interests. I mean, I would hope that the socially conservative wing of the RNC would have evolved a little since the 1950's. Kudos to them.

No comments: