Thursday, May 12, 2005

LGBT: Spanish Catholics stand up for LGBT rights

Several Spanish Catholic organizations have taken a position against the Catholic church and are supporting civil marriage rights for LGBT individuals. Finally someone got it right - legal marriage does not force religious groups to recognize those unions. And finally some Catholics are realizing that same-sex unions might not destroy the family... can we say common sense?!?! :)

Of course the Catholic church has called the civil marriage rights "a step backward on the path to civilization." I'm not 100% sure, but the last time I was in a spanish class, I thought that Spain was considered one of the civilized countries of the world. Hm, I didn't know that two people who love each other and would want to obtain legal protection and tax benefits could cause civilization to fall apart or regress. Sounds kinda dramatic to me!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Eh, those conservatives are a bunch of drama queens.

Ahem.