Thursday, February 3, 2005

Medicine: Crazy Bears (and the stigma of mental illness)

The health and well being of people suffering from mental illness is a topic near and dear to my heart. Recently, the Vermont Teddy Bear Company has come under fire for its "Crazy Bear". I realize that to many a bear in a straightjacket complete with a commitment report might not be offensive. However, it angers me that the company is still planning to make profit on this bear after they admit that the product is offessive to some. In fact, after a little Ebay search the scandal has raised the asking price of the bear. I guess some people have no moral objection to making some profit off of mental illnes stigma. If things like this bother you as much as they do me, maybe you should join NAMI StigmaBusters. I will get off my soapbox now. Oh, if you are looking for a last minute gift for the kiddies how about these wonderful bears. Ha-ha a little too hairy for my taste.

No comments: